Our roots grow deep in Moscow. Malcolm came to the University from Potlatch in l929. Carol entered the University from Rosalia, WA, in 1931. We met here in 1935 when Carol was a senior and Malcolm was a teaching assistant in chemistry.
He left for a PhD in chemistry at the University of Minnesota. Carol went to Brown University for a MA in economics. We kept in touch and were married in 1938. At that time we moved to New Jersey where Malcolm joined duPont. (During the war, Carol worked in the Statistics Dept. at the same duPont plant.)
After 20 years in industry--with moves to Minneapolis and Buffalo--Malcolm became head of physical sciences at UI (later head of chemistry when the departments of physics and chemistry separated). Except for a year at Stanford with the Advisory Council on College Chemistry, we have lived in Moscow, continuing to do so after Malcolm's retirement in 1976.
We have continued to be active at the university: Carol as a member of the UI Foundation and Malcolm writing a newsletter for the Department of Chemistry. We have served on various alumni committees at UI. Also we have tried to be good citizens of the community with active interest in our Presbyterian Church, in the libraries (both UI and public) in Latah County Historical Society, Humane Society of the Palouse, Latah Health Center, the Good Samaritan Village development, the 1912 Center, and in the Kenworthy Theatre project.
While Malcolm was actively involved at the UI, Carol served on volunteer boards including several of the interests named above. Both Carol and Malcolm are Elders in the Presbyterian Church. In addition Malcolm played trombone in the Vandal Boosters non-marching Pep Band!